Friday 30 January 2015

Facemask Fails

 
     We've all been there at one point or another, and if you haven't yet, you will soon enough. It doesn't matter what makes you buy it; whether you've lusted after it for a lifetime, bought it on a whim or been pressured into buying it following a hard sell from a sales assistant; sometimes in life we just get hold of a product that just does not work for us, causing disappointment, financial loss and sometimes even pain!
     Today's two featured facemask are unfortunately guilty of this. 
     Now, it should be pointed out here that these are my own opinions based on my own experiences. Just because they don't work for me, does not mean they will not work for you! While some may find a product disappointing, others may consider it a favourite, and therefore you should not be put off from trying it for yourself! This is simply my own experiences of the products; a warning of what can possibly happen!
     For reference, it should also be pointed out I do not suffer from sensitive skin and therefore this reactions are highly irregular for me,
     Now that the housekeeping is out of the way, lets begin!
     So, first up, we have The Body Shop Seaweed Ionic Clay Mask. This product is, of course, a clay face mask for combination/oily skin. This product is actually a best seller for Bodyshop; grey in colour, the Bodyshop claims this mask draws out impurities, clarifying and refreshing the skin. A 100ml tub costs £13, which is big enough to provide a number of applications.  
     I actually bought this after reading some good reviews online, and tried it the very same night I bought it. However, within a few minutes of applying the mask to my face it started to sting. I persisted, leaving it on for the required time. However, once removed, my usually pale skin was very, very red. I have actually tried to use this product since then a few times, but each time has provided the same result, forcing me to shove it firmly to the back of the bathroom cabinet!
     This is the first product i've ever had a problem with; overall I am quite a fan of the Bodyshop, and so I assume that there is just a particular ingredient in this mask that irritates my skin.
     With this in mind and still looking for a nice face mask to use, I tried a Lush best seller next. The Mask of Magnaminty is a face and body mask containing peppermint, and Lush claim that it fights spots and blackheads, returning your skin back to 'top condition'.
     I was eager to try this because I love Lush products, and as I'd heard such good things about the mask already (Check Instagram, literally everyone is talking about how good it is) I decided to take the plunge and pay £5.50 for 125g of product. 
     I assumed that the irritation from the Bodyshop mask was caused by Seaweed, as I'd never used a product containing Seaweed before and therefore assumed this product was safe. However, my reaction to this product was actually worse than the Seaweed mask. And when I say worse, I mean horrifyingly bad.
     The first time I used it I followed the instructions as recommended to me by a sales assistant; I placed the product on my face for ten minutes and waited for the magic to happen, and actually to be fair at first it did. My skin looked noticeably cleaner, especially on my nose where I have a fair few pesky blackheads constantly lurking! Happy, I then used it as a cleanser the next time I used it, as I was advised is possible. I was, again, happy.
     This is where it gets terrifying. 
     A couple of days later my skin became really sore, dry, itchy and red. These words do not do it justice; I woke up and my skin, especially near my hairline on my forehead, was bright red like suburn, so dry and itchy that my skin was literally flaking off from my face (I know, gross!). The pain was pretty unbearable. I soothed it with cream, swapping my usual moisturiser for Nivea cream and absolutely piling it onto my face, which instantly drank it in.
     The next day, the dryness had disappeared somewhat, but my skin was still very red and flaky, looking especially inflamed around my lips creating a very unwanted appearance not too dissimilar to the look of facial herpes. Don't google it, it's gross. This is the inflammation around my lips, on my chin and some of the redness on my cheeks:
   I have since had to buy a hydrocortisone cream, which acts as a mild inflammatory, as well as continue to top my skin up with rich Nivea cream, 
     I don't know if these two masks share ingredients, one of which my skin was irritated by, but reading other reviews online i'm in a small minority of people who have reacted to these products badly. Don't let it put you off, i'm just urging you to be careful; perform a patch test on the inside of your elbow by placing a small amount of product on your skin a couple of times before you apply it to your face; if your elbow skin goes red and bumpy, it will save your actual face from going red and bumpy. I just wish I knew!

     Have you tried either of these products? What are your thoughts? Share your views in the comment section below!
SHARE:

17 comments

  1. Sometime you never know how your skin will react until you try it! I've tried the Lush minty mask before and didn't have any reactions, but like you said there must be common ingredient that doesn't agree with your skin. Aesop do lovely face masks and you can get samples to try before you buy :)

    Hanh x | hanhabelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never actually tried any of the Aesop face masks so thankyou for the recommendation! Will definitely look into getting some samples! I'm glad you didn't have any nasty reactions to the mint mask :) x

      Delete
  2. Its so annoying when your disappointed with a product, its even more annoying when it causes problems with your skin, the best mask I have used its the Sanctuary 5min Thermal Detox mask its amazing, maybe give that a go! xx

    http://lipsticksandloveheartsx.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou for the recommendation, will definitely have to give that one a go, heard such good things about Sanctuary as a brand but never tried any of their stuff! xx

      Delete
  3. Aww it's the worst to be so excited for a product then be so disappointed at the outcome! I know that Arbonne has this amazing mask, and usually you can find something for all skin types- even those that are so sensitive! Have never tried a LUSH mask but have always wanted to!!
    xoxo
    Brooke|LookBrooke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou for the recommendation, never heard of Arbonne before so be interesting to try their products out one day! Lush do have a huge range of masks and theyre really popular so definitely try one, just patch test it first! xx

      Delete
  4. Its so annoying when this happens, I guess it's just the luck of the draw! x

    Eva // http://evasstudio.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love the seaweed range by the bodyshop!!
    Very strange this product doesn't work for you :s
    xx
    belle-fin.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people do really rate the range, but this is the only product i've tried from it. Definitely think it's just an allergy to an ingredient but no idea which! xx

      Delete
  6. Hey Armani & Leigh, I nominated you for the Liebster Award, you can check out what that means at http://www.licalove.com/.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou so much for the nomination Lica! We'll get right onto answering your questions! xx

      Delete
  7. Oh no this sounds awful! It's put me off masks now! I use the Bodyshop seaweed day cream though and I've never had any issues with that xx

    xbeccabe.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha it was a pretty awful experience, but it only took a few days to go down once treated! Don't let it put you off masks! Just patch test them and you'll be fine! If your fine with the seaweed day cream you'll probably be just fine with the mask, I'm pretty sure I must be allergy to one or more of the ingredients but which I just don't have a clue! xx

      Delete
  8. Oh dear, shame you had such a bad experience. Makes me think to be more firm and stern with myself instead of just buying things because people say it's amazing hmm. Thanks for following me by the way! :) love your blog x

    Anything & Everything | Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't the best experience i've ever had haha! Yeah definitely sometimes some things just aren't worth the hype but then some are! It's the risk you take! No problem, we love your blog too! xx

      Delete
  9. I'm sorry You had such a frightening experience! I didn't much like the mask of magnaminty myself either. I didnt have the same results as you, just not much of a result at all really. I much prefer their love lettuce and cupcake face masks better for my skin type.

    ReplyDelete

© Armani Leigh. All rights reserved.
Designer Blogger Template by pipdig